Sunday, April 28, 2019

Final post: Shadowing Dr. John Moffatt

Total hours for this semester: 26 hours

Since I have already completed over 24 hours this semester, I decided to try to take my spare time and shadow a local dentist in the area to improve my dental application for the upcoming cycle. Thankfully, one of my classmates, Trey Moffatt, has a father who runs an amazing practice in the area and I was able to shadow him.

I had an amazing time shadowing Dr. Moffatt. His office is extremely warm and comforting and you can really tell that he always puts the the well-being of his patients above everything else. I was able to watch him perform several crown replacements as he walked me through what was going on. He was a great teacher, and an even better conversationalist. I was able to relate to a lot of the things he was talking about, whether it was about dentistry or just life in general. Dr. Moffatt has a such a great relationship with his patients that at one point I was beginning to think that every single one of his patients was a close family friend. He displayed amazing technique when dealing with younger patients and I have learned a lot from him in that area.

I remember there was one thing specifically that Dr. Moffatt said that especially resonated with me. He said that when him and his wife first started their practice (his wife is also a dentist as well), one of their promises was that they would always make sure that every patient felt as little pain as possible. He was true to his word, as he always applied topical anasthetics before local anesthetics, as well as performing the necessary nerve block if the patient was still feeling discomfort. It may take a little longer to do some procedures in the long run, but in the end you can tell that it has paid off because just about every patient he saw that day seemed to enjoy being in his office. I have already contacted him again and will be shadowing him this Tuesday again before I move back home for the summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment