Saturday, March 30, 2019

Future Plans

Since I already finished my required hours of 24 (26 total) this semester, I will discuss my future plans after completing this program. My original plan was to do this program to boost my GPA and improve my resume, then apply to dental school this next cycle. I will still be doing that, but I have added on some further tasks that I plan to complete before the start of this upcoming application cycle (which opens up in the summer). This last month of the semester I have scheduled myself to shadow a local dentist in the New Orleans area to increase my shadowing hours and show dental schools that I am still very interested in the art of dentistry. I will be shadowing Dr. Moffat, who is my current classmate's father (Thanks Trey!) Secondly, I have accepted an invitation to complete a 4 semester Master's in Oral Health Sciences program at Boston University's School of Dental Medicine. The track record of students getting into dental school after completion of this program is impeccable, and this gives me the chance to sit side by side with current first year dental students as I will be taking their first year Biochemistry and Physiology classes with them, along with other dental related courses. I was recommended to this program by the dentist I shadowed recently. He said that it was one of the main reasons that he was successful in getting into school after he did not receive admission on his first try. Lastly, I have decided that I am going to study and retake the DAT over the 3 month period that I have off over the summer. My DAT score was not a weakness in my application by any means, but I felt as if I would have been wasting my summer away if I wasn't being productive and trying to further improve my chances for admission into dental school. I am actually very excited to start studying for the DAT this time around because I'm interested to see how my study skills and knowledge that I learned during this master's program will help me increase my score.

Total this semester: 26 hours

No comments:

Post a Comment